Unfortunately, my little family was stricken with the flu in February and although we made our Ecuadorian meals, I was unable to share them on the blog. So this week is Ecuadorian week where I am sharing all our recipes. Monday I shared my favorite Ecuadorian breakfast soup, Encebollado.
Today I have two recipes that look similar but have distinctly different flavors: Sango de Camarón and Encocado de Camarón. Camarón means shrimp, so these are both dishes that feature shrimp! Both dishes start with refrito. Refrito is a combination of sauteed red onion, bell peppers, garlic, and spices. To make the refrito you will need Achiote or saffron.
Sango de Camarón
Sango starts with the refrito. Then grated plantain is added with a dab of peanut butter. In the end your cooked shrimp is mixed in with the plantain mixture. Squeeze lime juice on it, mix it with your rice, eat and enjoy. I think this is my second favorite Ecuadorian dish. That's how good it is. It's not spicy at all, but very flavorful!
- You want to use really green plantains, so don't let them sit too long. We once used plantains that were too sweet and it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.
- Soak the finely grated plantain in the shrimp water for just a little extra flavor.
- Always add the cilantro in last to keep its color.
Encocado de Camarón
It's commonly eaten with rice and in Esmereldas (a city in Ecuador) it's also common to eat with a boiled green plantain. I thought it sounded strange but it was actually good to eat with the encocado.
- Salt the water when you boil the plantain. Otherwise it will be too bland.
- Cilantro can be added at the same time as the coconut milk. But add more at the end for the color.
- More or less coconut milk can be used based on your preference. More would make it more like a sauce, less would make it thicker.
And if you don't want to wait for next month Dating Divas has a pack for an Irish Date Night. It's on sale right now so check it out. You get recipes, games and other fun activities for the night with your significant other.