What is your favorite book about dogs?
Oh my goodness! There are so many choices! Today we are sharing some of our faves. If you know any dog lovers, this is a list they will enjoy. Have you read all of these?
- Clifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell: Kids love these many stories about Emily Elizabeth and her big, red dog named Clifford. Clifford always saves the day!
- Spot by Eric HIll: The perfect series of books about a dog for young toddlers. It is available as board books with eye catching illustrations.
- The Pokey Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey: This is a storybook that I remember from my childhood and it is one of the original Little Golden Books. This is a sweet story about a cute puppy with a lot of curiosity.
- Biscuit by Alyssa Satin Capucilli: This little puppy will steal every child's heart! There are 10 stories about Biscuit's adventures. The illustrations by Pat Schories are adorable.
- Charlie the Ranch Dog by Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman): This is a cute book about Ree Drummond's dog Charlie and his life on the ranch. You can hear Ree read it to you herself! There is a very good taste of a lot of the story to hear on Amazon. Just click the link. The illustrations by Diane deGroat are super cute. This is the first book, but there are others available about Charlie as well.
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls: Warning, this classic is a tear jerker. I remember sobbing over it in my youth. Billy worked hard to be able to own his 2 hunting dogs. The story of his love for them is a classic that everyone should read.
- The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto by Natalie Standiford: This story about the dogs that carried medicine across frozen Alaska to save children is inspiring and compelling. I have read it in the classroom with 3rd grade students and they have loved it.
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London: This is one of London's most well known novels. It is about a St. Bernard named Buck who is kidnapped from his owner in California and taken to the Klondike. Buck shows his resilience and calls up the strength of his breed's ancestors to survive in the worst conditions. This is the 100th anniversary edition.
- Marley and Me by John Grogan: This book is about a crazy Labrador named Marley and how he became the heart of a family. This book has been made into a motion picture and after you read it you will see why. Another tear jerker!
- Old Yeller by Fred Gipson: This is the book that inspired the classic Disney movie. I had third graders read this and then we would watch the movie. I would weep every time. So did they. Are there any novels about dogs that aren't tear jerkers?
- A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron: I haven't read this one yet, but it comes highly recommended. It is also on the big screen! It is told from a dog's perspective.
- Lassie Come Home by Eric Knight: I grew up with the TV shows and movies about this collie. This book is already being published in it's 75th anniversary form. It is a classic that I couldn't leave off of this list.
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo: This is the story of how one scruffy stray dog changes a girl names Opal's life. Also a film, this is a terrific book!
- Sophie-The Incredible Story of a Castaway Dog by Emma Pearse: This is truly an incredible story! It is about a dog who went overboard but she ended up making it to the Great Barrier Reef and then remaining loyal to her family. This one made it on Oprah's list.
Did we miss any of your faves? Let us know in the comments! If you haven't read some of these, give them a try, you never know when one made into a movie will make it onto From Cover to Reel!
If you find any books on here you might like to read and want more, here are some other suggestions from past posts.