Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the stage of life I am in now, but I have been feeling a sense of nostalgia as I think about all of those years of finishing up our last week or two of summer before school started again. Unlike many parents, I always loved the summer with my children and we tried to take in as much fun as possible before school started again.
- Sandwich fixings! As you can see in the photo above, we are building sandwiches. Alicia says that there has to be long sliced sandwich dill pickles. She, Madalynn and my husband especially love pickles on their sandwiches.
- Potato Salad! That is Maddy's choice. I posted my tried and true recipe here. Or, you can go to Panna and learn to make this New Potato Salad with Fennel and Green Peas! Yum! While you are there, you can sign up for your free trial!
- Dessert! You may not eat dessert at every meal, but at a picnic it is pretty much mandatory. LIndsey says she loves cookies. We have some great cookie recipes here and here.
- I love fried chicken at a picnic! Panna has many delicious chicken options on their site! I think that this recipe for fried chicken and mashed potatoes by Jonathan Waxman looks so good!
- A good picnic basket or cooler is necessary when traveling to your picnic destination. Here are a few good options from our affiliate Amazon. Just click the pictures to find out more.
- A good picnic blanket is great to have for sitting and resting on and enjoying the weather! Sometimes a nap is in order. Look at these cute options from Amazon and Etsy! Once again, the pictures are clickable.
- Speaking of naps, a hammock is always nice to put up. Look at my cute little grandson enjoying one!
- We didn't just lay around and nap on these day trips! Lindsey remembers our badminton set. Maddy was always really good at archery.
- One of our favorite places to go is where there is water to play in. A swimming hole at Wet Beaver Creek in AZ is one of our favorite spots. We have had so many fun days there.
Whew! That is a lot of favorites! Tell us, What do you put in your picnic basket? We would love to know! And please, enjoy your last few days of summer vacation with your kids! Before you know it, those days will only be memories. Make them good ones!