Fast forward to this decade and an ice cream topping called Magic Shell is sold in grocery stores. It has the magical ability to pour as a liquid out of the bottle and then harden quickly when it gets cold. There are versions of this product put out by Smucker's and by Hershey. As soon as I became acquainted with this stuff I flashed back to Spoon Candy. I thought to myself, "Surely I can remake that magical, retro dessert."
- chocolate pudding with marshmallows or cookie layers
- adding nuts or sprinkles
- layering a couple of kinds of pudding, maybe putting the magic shell in the middle and the top.
- How about sprinkling Rice Krispies on the chocolate, like a Crunch Bar!
- You could use caramel ice cream sauce as a layer!
- Jello does make sugar-free pudding so shell will be the only thing with sugar if you want.
I must confess that this version is not exactly the way I remember Spoon Candy to be, but it is pretty good. Besides, that was 40 years ago, so my memory is probably fading! This is still a great way to have some fun and deliciousness on a weekend!
Happy Fun Friday!