Every year for Halloween, our church does a chili cook-off with grilled hot dogs out in the back parking lot, and then we open our trunks and many people decorate them for the holiday and the kids go around Trunk or Treating. It is a lot of fun and give the kids a safe place to celebrate with people they know. And, actually, we attract people from around the neighborhood as well!
Well, like I said, many people decorate their cars. I always want to, and I have done a few little things, but frankly when my kids were young, it was all I could do just to get them costumed! But, now that I am an empty nester, all I have to worry about is decorating my car! So far, I've come up with this cute little lighted garland.
- I used a battery powered string of LED lights. Mine already had hearts on them, so I easily pulled those off and made sure to have my husband drill the holes in the caps the same size as they are in the hearts so that the lights fit in tightly. My husband said that the caps are stronger plastic than you might think and they took some effort to drill. There are 10 lights on my strand, much like these.
- For the ghosts, I just painted everything white and put random shapes of tape to make the eyes and mouths. Then, after giving a couple of coats of paint, I peeled the tape off.
- Since the pill bottles are already orange, I just painted black eyes and mouths on the pumpkins and painted the caps green.
- When you paint, give a few coats because it is hard for the paint to stick to the plastic. I just used regular acrylic paint.
- Put batteries in your light power pack and stick the lights in the lids and Voila!
Mixbooks looks like a great company for doing just that. I have heard many recommendations for them. Have any of you tried their books? When you sign up for their site, you get up to 50% off. They have 405 themes that you can use, or you can start from scratch and totally build your own theme. I think this company is worth checking out! Let me know your experiences if you have already used them.