With the holidays upon us, everyone really starts focusing on families and it is great! I love families! I believe that families are forever. That is a pretty big concept in our church. We are big on doing our family history, because family is important. My Sister in Law Jessica is a family history guru/wizard/genius and she is always working on some great family history project, including a book she put together for my dad for Christmas last year. She even started a blog where she shares tips on how to do your own family history. She inspires me to want to be better at doing my own family history. Just yesterday I got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com and I am excited to see what connections I can make from that.
Well, as you know, I do a weekly recipe post and I think family recipes are so important. What you remember your mother/father/grandmother/great-grandmother making in the kitchen, whichever cookbook has been passed down through the years, usually tells a story about where you come from and how you got here. So I love this activity that I found on the family search website! You can do it with your own family and gather all of your family recipes in one place! You'll learn a lot about your own family that way!
My cousin Laura shared on Facebook the other day that she was trying to tell someone about our family recipe for Surprise Pudding, and lo and behold, the one that came up WAS her family recipe! It was ours from this blog! We have shared so many family recipes with you here and I am going to list a few of my favorites and then ask, what are your favorite family recipes?
We love pie in my family, so I obviously can't forget to remind you about these great pie recipes we've shared with you.
1. The Best Pie Crust: you have to start with a good foundation, otherwise there is no point. I use this pie crust for all of my pies, and I use it when I make quiche! It is the best and so easy!
2. Blackberry Pie: Fruit pies are a traditional American classic and we have some great recipes for them in our family!
3. Pecan Pie: My dad LOVES pecan pie, so this is a mandatory recipe at every family gather! I can't remember a Thanksgiving or Christmas without it!
4. Pumpkin Pie: Obviously! Did you think this one wouldn't be a family favorite? I LOVE Pumpkin Pie!!!
5. Apple Pie: I would contend that my mom makes the best apple pie in the world. I'm sorry, but it's true. Lucky for you, she shared her recipe here, and she also shared how to can your own apple pie filling here! Now your pie can be just as good as hers!
Peach Cobbler: Growing up, whenever we went camping I knew that one night of the trip we were going to have peach cobbler made in the dutch oven. I looked forward to it so much! I still contend that my mother never made it otherwise. She disagrees, but I think if she made it at home she ate it all and never saved me some. So I still equate this recipe with family camping trips!
Hot Cocoa Bombs: Of course I had to share this one, the one that started this blog. It's a pretty new family recipe, but it is special to us since we came up with it together. Don't forget to check out our Etsy shop where you can buy the booklet and learn to make your own Hot Cocoa Bombs! From our family to yours!