This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you purchase from them.Thanks for your support!
For What to Read Wednesday this week I have a different kind of post for you, a roundup of my favorite children’s Christmas/Winter themed books.
Some I love for the stories and some for the illustrations and some for both! Since there are 24 you can read one a day before Christmas in December!
My 24 Favorite Children’s Christmas Books
These are listed in no particular order, just 24 that I love!
1. Pick a Pine Tree- I love the illustrations in this book and how it captures the magic of picking the perfect tree for
2. The Polar Express- Classic
3. The Night Before Christmas Pop-up- I kind of collect different versions of Clement C Moore’s classic poem but this pop-
up version is on of my favorites! It’s really beautiful, intricate, and interactive.
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas- honestly I’m not a huge Dr Seuss fan but I still love this classic.
5. Olive the Other Reindeer- really cute!
6. Little Critters: Merry Christmas Mom and Dad
7. Merry Christmas Daniel Tiger- A life-the-flap board book! My kids love it.
8. The Christmas Miracle of Johnathan Toomey- a quite touching story.
9. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever- the classic chapter book has been adapted into a picture book for younger audiences!!
10. The Legand of Old Befana- I love Tomie dePaulo books. I especially enjoy this Italian Christmas Story brought to life with
his unique and beautiful illustrations.
11. Who is Coming to Our House- a nativity story from the animals perspective.
12. ‘Tis The Season: A Classic Illustrated Christmas Treasury- a collection of poems, excerpts, and songs about Christmas
accompanied by beautiful illustrations.
13. I Believe in Santa Claus- a wonderful book that explains the symbols of Christmas and how they relate to Christ.
14. Loud Winter’s Nap- A tortoise who hates winter is just trying to take a nap, but his noisy neighbors are keeping him
15. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer- The classic tale written in 1939 by Robert L May about a reindeer with a shiny red
nose who turns out to be the unlikey helper of Santa!
16. Little Golden Book The Christmas Story
17. The Gingerbread Man- Not technically Winter or Christmas except that's when we traditionally eat gingerbread.
18. The Legend of Saint Nicolas- A great way to introduce where the legend of Santa comes from and teach kindness and
service as virtues.
19. Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale- Another Nativity story from the perspective of the animals in the stable
20. Merry Christmas Amelia Bedelia- who doesn’t love mixed up Amelia Bedelia
21. The Nutcracker: An Enchanted Pop-up Adaptation
22. One Mitten- A girl is finding uses for her one mitten as she looks for its mate.
23. The Snowy Day- I love the illustrations in the book. So beautiful!
24. A World of Cookies for Santa- follow Santa around the world and see what treats are left out for him. Includes
recipes! A great way to learn about different Christmas traditions around the world.
There you have it, 24 Christmas books I love to share with my children. Have you read any of these? Did you find any new ones you’d like to share with your family? Let us know in the comments!
Creators of Hot Cocoa Bombs! (copyrighted)
Helen Reynolds: Mother of six children , grandmother to eleven! I love to cook, craft and create things and I especially love doing that with my family, So, when my lawyer daughter, Lindsey, my artist daughter, Madalynn, and I came up with the idea of Hot Cocoa Bombs, this blog was born. Then, one more daughter, with her technical and science skills, plus creativity has joined in to round us out! Read more about us here!